Behind Blue Eyes

Thanks for dropping by!

Thursday, December 08, 2005

I see London, I see France...

A trip to Europe involves planning, currency exchange, learning bits of an old language and a general "what to do while you're there" research. Undertaking a trip to Europe while pregnant involves a keen sense of adventure.

Getting to Paris that first travel day was a bit ambitious. I’m not sure how many of you are aware of this, but when a pregnant women or someone with the tendency to suffer from blood clots travel they should wear “compression” hose while flying. Imagine putting on tights from the closest of a 4 year old and wearing them for 10 hours… imagine trying to be polite the whole time! Anyway, we arrived in London and immediately (we had a 3 hour layover – totally my fault) left for Paris. The 3-hour train, some of it under the English Channel left me hardly able to keep my eyes open when we rolled into Gare du Nord. However, once we arrived at the hotel we dropped our bags, strapped on our cameras and stepped into the city of lights with as much excitement as a children on Christmas morning… (And probably with as much sleep!)

Good friends from other areas of France and Germany met us in Paris and we celebrated by eating at two fantastic bistros. Chez Allard (41, rue Saint-André-des-Arts) with lace curtains, brass fixtures and white tablecloths showcase an old-fashioned and very romantic atmosphere. The cuisine is a traditional French Bourgeoisie style. I’d recommend anything on the menu but start with the escargot! La Fontaine de Mars (129, rue Saint-Dominique) had a very different décor and energy. It was informal and charming with checked tablecloths, an outstanding staff and an incredible South West France menu.

Paris is probably my favorite city in the world... I love putting my hands on the
individually placed stones of the Notre-Dame Cathedral and feeling that I’m standing in the middle of history. Someday I plan to climb the 400+ stairs and see the gargoyles up close and personal!!! My highlights were seeing a few places I hadn’t been before. I was awe-struck when I saw the stained glass windows in La Sainte-Chapelle, thrilled to see a lit-up Paris sprawled out before me from the Eiffel Tower, and wondered what “The Thinker” was thinking at the Musée Auguste Rodin. Of course we also enjoyed some of our favorites like Musée d’Orsay, Jardin du Luxembourg and Basilique du Sacré Coeur.

I have to mention our hotel... Hotel des Mines on Blvd Saint Michael in the 5th arrondissment -because it was perfect! It was close to the Jardin Du Luxembourg and La Closerie des Lilas, our favorite nightly hangout. For an idea of the history and vibe of the place read “A Moveable Feast” and “The Sun Always Rises” by Ernest Hemingway. I'd say we couldn't have stayed in a better part of town for our interests. Of course our bar tabs were more expensive than usual because water costs more than wine, but I didn’t mind paying over 5 Euros for a diet coke if it meant being able to soak up the atmosphere for free!

My Favorite Paris Highlight
Public toilettes… on almost every corner of the city. For 40 Euro cents you never have to worry about “holding it”. That may not be so important for the regular traveler but for this pregnant traveler it was a miracle!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home